What does a Foster Home do?
- Provides individual care for animals when they need it most
- Helps to socialize animals so they are more likely to be adopted
- Spares animals the stress of kennel confinement
- We witness the animal’s real personality and can better “match” pets with potential adopters
- Fostering a pet is a wonderful and rewarding experience for all and makes a huge contribution to the pet adoption success rate
Is Fostering Easy?
- The answer is 50/50! 50% no because you often create a bond with the pet and it is hard to see them leave to their forever home. 50% yes because all supplies, fees and vet care are provided by us…you just provide the home and the love!
- BAPS’s foster carers are very special people. It takes time, patience and compassion when you welcome a foster pet into your home and we appreciate the effort involved.
- Some of the animals going into temporary foster care are already well-behaved with good house manners, while other animals may need more care, supervision or training. This may be in part to them being a puppy/kitten or because they’ve never been lucky enough to have people in their lives who cared about their well-being
- Foster carers make life easy for animals in need during a period when they need the most support.
- Offering your time, your experience, your home, your patience, your compassion…. to pet fostering may be a challenge, but you are making the world of difference for the animals you help.
Need More Reasons to Foster?
- The animal that you foster will learn that they’re loved
- It’s a fun experience for everyone (usually – unless other pets don’t see eye-to-eye)
- It’ll make you feel great knowing that you are making a difference in the lives of the animals you help
- Your children will learn compassion and empathy for others, as well as responsible pet ownership.
- You’ll give the pet a chance to shine and flourish in a home environment, which helps with adoptions.
- You’ll make someone else’s family complete once the animal has been adopted.
- There is no cost to you! Food, toys, veterinarian care, etcetera is all provided by us!
- It’s an opportunity to meet other fosters, rescuers and animal lovers like yourself which may lead to new friendships.
- You get to personally witness a “Happily Ever After”! Saying goodbye is never easy BUT seeing the happy ending makes it all worthwhile.
- You’ve become completely smitten? No worries! This sometimes happens and the foster family will decide to adopt the animal! We call them foster failures…but they certainly haven’t failed as they’ve gained a rewarding experience and the love of a furry friend! For more information on fostering, please contact us or fill out an application here